AN organization of citizens who were adversely affected by a demolition in Lugait, Misamis Oriental, this summer and a party-list group would take to the streets today to pressure local officials into decisively intervening and providing aid to the “victims.”
They would also demand that the local government act on the alleged land rights and human rights abuses in Lugait town.
The Alyansa sa mga Biktima sa Demolisyon sa Calangahan (Albidec) and Anakpawis party-list in west Misamis Oriental are set to stage a street demonstration cum dialogue with the Lugait’s officials over the town government’s perceived failure to respond.
The march is scheduled at 8 am from their erstwhile community to the municipal hall.
This move is in connection with the May 28-30 demolition of shanties in the villages of Biga and Kalangahan that adversely affected some 240 farming and fishing families. The shanties had been built near the highway after the demolition of their houses.
Richard Colao, who serves as a coordinator of the groups, said the demolition was executed by some 100 police officers led by a court sheriff.
The area is said to be being developed as an agro-industrial area along the Cagayan-Iligan Industrial Corridor. No relocation area has been allotted to the displaced residents.
Colao said the displaced villagers complained that no notice of demolition was served prior to the dismantling of their houses and destruction of their farms.
He said one of the villagers, 45-year old Eulogio Clapano Jr., died of heart attack after learning that his over 300 coconut trees were felled by the demolition team. He died on June 5.
He said another resident, Soledad Magallanes, cried foul over the cutting of her bananas that were being prepared for harvest.
Colao said the police also crushed motorized bancas owned by fishermen.
Displaced residents said they were prohibited to go back to their farms.